[PREV<<<<][HOME][MY BOOK][>>>>NEXT]
Gilberts, Pose 6
I was asked to do some portrait work for these nice people a short while ago. Since I'm not familiar with Omaha, I asked them to pick a location, and they picked the beautiful Joslyn Castle. I'm not used to doing portraiture, so I did things kind of my own way. I hope you think it turned out as well as I do.

Gilberts, Pose 3

More about the castle, from the web site:
The Castle was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and was designated as an Omaha Landmark Historic Structure in 1979.
Completed in 1903, it was the home of businessman George Joslyn and is wife Sarah. The century-old estate was and remains one of Nebraska's most remarkable private residences. Sited on what was once the western edge of the city, the estate was designed by prominent Omaha architect John McDonald in a Scottish Baronial style.

The impressive, four story, 35-room mansion and carriage house tower over five acres of formal gardens and landscaping. The home was built in just eleven months at a cost of $250,000.

In 1944 the Castle became the headquarters of the Omaha Public School system. In 1989 the school system moved to a larger facility in the former Technical High School building at 30th and Cuming Streets. The Castle then became the property of the State of Nebraska. It was the 1990 ASID/Omaha Symphony Designer Showhouse and received extensive restoration.

Gilberts, Pose 4

The Gilberts at Joslyn Castle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

[HOME]